Neo Ark Cradle
Preliminary Discussion - Printable Version

+- Neo Ark Cradle (http://neoarkcradle.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Yu-Gi-Oh! (http://neoarkcradle.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS (http://neoarkcradle.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=97)
+--- Thread: Preliminary Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=7652)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Preliminary Discussion - NeoArkadia - 12-21-2019

Talk here.

Please keep excessive negativity and "Yu-Gi-Oh! is DOOOOOMEED" to a minimum.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - firevex - 12-21-2019

I will try, but it's still kinda disappointing, hopefully I am wrong and this series turns out decent, when can we expect more info, in January?

RE: Preliminary Discussion - FloWen - 12-21-2019

The official anime site is up btw:

https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/yugioh-sevens/

RE: Preliminary Discussion - NMBRHNTR64 - 12-21-2019

I was initially not to into the character designs, but after looking at some of the promo art I am getting a bit more fond of them.

I also like how Yuga is an inventor and I REALLY like how he's the one that came up with Rush Duels. It'll be interesting to see how that catches on with the populace in the series.

Also the entire setting and everything in it is in control of one (definitely not evil) corporation. Almost reminds me of Outer Worlds. Very curious to see how that plays into the story here.

Change of studios aside, I feel cautiously optimistic about this series. Probably won't be for everyone, but if it manages to get more people into the franchise I'm down for it. I just hope this turns out to be a bit more than just a vehicle for selling a new product.

Also, some dude just throwing down the Blue-Eyes White Dragon feels kinda weird.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - BahamutX978 - 12-21-2019

(12-21-2019, 07:03 AM)NMBRHNTR64 Wrote: I also like how Yuga is an inventor and I REALLY like how he's the one that came up with Rush Duels.

Thats honestly the worst part to me.
The plot focusing on what is essentially the main character's special house rules just doesn't sound good to me. It actually sounds really, really bad to me.

Its one thing that the Rush Duel rules being Spam: the format that makes it unappealing. But just making them some special house rules just makes it look like the main character only wins because he literally makes the rules.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - lilim - 12-21-2019

Even worse. It means that he might just spam new onehit wonder cards each duel and the OCG will never be able to keep up.
Drawing 5 new cards every turn means his deck may get bloated real fast.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - DarkMaelstrom - 12-21-2019

...Are there really only three Monster Zones?

RE: Preliminary Discussion - kexarakis - 12-21-2019

What... What is that? Is it Duel Masters meeting Beyblade?
It... If it was not for the dueldisks and the cards, i could have sworn that this doesn't feel like YGO at all.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - Elysion - 12-21-2019

Yeah, not interested at all.

How is the reaction of the japanese fans? Really hoped for something else, this kids-style design doesn't fit yugioh at all

RE: Preliminary Discussion - Thisusername - 12-21-2019

Everything we know about the main character so far gives me the feeling i will have to apologise about everything bad i said about Yuma and 2nd half Arc V Yuya.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - NeoArkadia - 12-21-2019

Quote:...Are there really only three Monster Zones?
Yes, in Yuga's Rush Duel Format.

Quote:How is the reaction of the japanese fans?
Female fans at JF thought the characters and new actors were good.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - DragonicEmperor - 12-21-2019

"Mom, can we have some Yugioh?"

"We got Yugioh at home."

Yugioh at home:

[Image: Sevens.jpg?ssl=1]

RE: Preliminary Discussion - rest - 12-21-2019

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMRwhP4VUAIBT30?format=jpg&name=small
Here's a poster from a different anime, just to show how generic the protagonist looks.

He looks almost identical to Yuga, They didn't even tried with the designs did they?

RE: Preliminary Discussion - DarkMaelstrom - 12-21-2019

The Plot Summary https://ygorganization.com/gottayeetoretueeeee/
Sounds so nineties it hurts.
"Hey old man, your rules suck and Imma make my own game, and it'll be much better than yours!"
Peace.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - PlayMaker - 12-21-2019

I do like that they got three good voice actors.
The student council president guy is played by Tanjiro’s va.
The rival played by flame’s / bb’s VA.
The girl lead played by the lead of assassin’s pride and sao: gun gale online alternative.

I think the change style is bad. They are pulling on us zexal all over again.
Also I don’t like the the main characters are basically 11 years olds.

But I guess We can’t be sure until we see the final product what it’s going to be.
I’m mean zexal initially was bad but I think zexal II was decent.

I just upset they cut our VRains early when the thing they did it was this. I expected something more interesting.

Also what happens to studio gallop ? They are dead ? That’s why they changed for this bridge studio ? ?

Double post. Sorry.

What i cannot understand is how this installment will change the history of the anime.
They dared  axed Vrains to give us THIS?
Oh God, i sure hope that i will hear something good for Dragonball at least!

Reminder:

Duel Masters and Pokemon eat YGO's lunch in Japan.

The average player base is likely too unacceptably old for the franchise owners.

So they're redesigning visually and gameplay wise to expand the sandbox of who can play so kids are drawn back in, and double down on designs female fans like (which based on Jump Festa reactions, were really good among female fans).

Please pause and think for a moment that you're getting angry that kids are being reinvited back in.

(12-21-2019, 11:33 AM)NeoArkadia Wrote: Reminder:

The average player base is likely too unacceptably old for the franchise owners.

So they're redesigning visually and gameplay wise to expand the sandbox of who can play so kids are drawn back in, and double down on designs female fans like (which based on Jump Festa reactions, were really good among female fans).

Please pause and think for a moment that you're getting angry that kids are being reinvited back in.

Personally, i am pissed off that they gave us the mother of all bad written endings so they can give us something they could give without sacrificing Vrains.
For God's sake, even The Rise of Skywalker  and Cinematic X-Men Dark Phoenix COMBINED were better than the Vrains finale.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - lilim - 12-21-2019

Mad?
no

Disappointed.
100 %

RE: Preliminary Discussion - Avalon - 12-21-2019

I think is ok an anime that wants a new kid public. And the idea of a protagonist tha dont like the rules reflects how new people think yugioh is complex. I dont see this like a negative thing, just dont like the animation and generic styles for now.

Then yell at Japan for not raising wages and improving working conditions.

The art style is going to continue getting more and more CalArts-y as a result.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - DarkYugi - 12-21-2019

(12-21-2019, 10:30 AM)DarkMaelstrom Wrote: The Plot Summary https://ygorganization.com/gottayeetoretueeeee/
Sounds so nineties it hurts.
"Hey old man, your rules suck and Imma make my own game, and it'll be much better than yours!"
Peace.
After reading this more terrible. Sorry but I am negative at full capacity.
  1. This doesn't look like YGO! The characters and the protagonist is so generic (by attitude and design) and reminds Bayblade.
  2. You ve got the 20th anniversary and we get this? After the summary its like slapping the fans in the face. Yes we purely do this for kids.
  3. Yugioh was always aimed at teenagers period. Especially in Japan.
Hope this flops hard in Konami's face. If they wanted kids "back" they should make a mini anime for them and another for the usual fans.

(12-21-2019, 11:33 AM)NeoArkadia Wrote: Reminder:

That's because they stupidly made the game complicated in the first place. When Yugioh started back in 2000s we had a good anime and we didn't have a problem with the game as kids.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - GamerXYZ - 12-21-2019

Late to the party, but: Beyblade-ish designs and completely different cards and rules, this isn't even Yu-Gi-Oh anymore! What next, series 8 will introduce mana cost to cards and have Spongebob-ish designs? I didn't like Master Rule 4 either, but at least that only affected Extra Deck summons making the game still Yu-Gi-Oh...

Yes, I know Rush Duels are separate and won't affect the main game fortunately. Doesn't change this series won't be worth watching for Yu-Gi-Oh fans though. When I said I wanted the anime to return to its simplified roots, I meant like it was in Duel Monsters and possibly GX, not a completely different game!

They should had just stopped introducing summoning mechanics at XYZ, and we wouldn't have reached this point.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - Dark_Pride - 12-21-2019

My only gripe is that them releasing 2 different product lines might cause their card design team to divide their attention over the two formats, causing both to stagnate.

(12-21-2019, 11:33 AM)NeoArkadia Wrote: Please pause and think for a moment that you're getting angry that kids are being reinvited back in.

Doesn't necessarily mean that their effort will work.
And if it doesn't work, that essentially makes this effort pointless or worthless.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - LittleLoveCaster - 12-21-2019

Well, I was so very wrong when I said the female characters would be bland, the mysterious girl definitely sounds intriguing, but I guess we'll actually have to see how she's treated when the series airs. I won't like it if she just has a connection to the plot and will be used just for that, though. By the way, Gakuto's clothing in the promotional image posted in this thread looks pretty traditional and his description says that he's the heir to some style of duelling, so maybe he's from a family that owns shrines and such? That is interesting and if he is the rival, it definitely juxtaposes him with Yuga, who is this inventor of sorts. Romin's design is alright too. But again, they don't look like YuGiOh characters.

Also, I can't really understand why so many people are comparing this to the initial reactions to Zexal or the whole feeling some fans get from it? I wasn't around here or active in any other YuGiOh community, not into YuGiOh at all and barely knew nothing about the spin-offs when Zexal was first announced, so I can't see it from that point of view. And I myself don't like Zexal, but I can't deny that it was in the same vein as the other YuGiOh series. The designs were the same, even if they weren't mature, they were still intricate and sharp-looking and there were recurring themes in it present in its precedents. And Zexal turned out well, having a good amount of fans and all, and is the most well-received in Japan. Sounds off to me to make comparisons just cause both protagonists are among the youngest... But hey, that's just how I think, everybody can think however they want to, of course.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - Avalon - 12-21-2019

If Yuga created the Rush Duels maybe other duelists can perform regular/master duels in the anime?

RE: Preliminary Discussion - Hanayo Asa - 12-21-2019

Going to be the unpopular opinion here:

- I expected about everything we got as far as aesthetics for SEVENS goes.
- I'm glad we're getting a more lighthearted series after 6 years of darker series (one could argue ZEXAL II actually started the darker turn).
- Surprised about the two formats thing, but very interested nonetheless. The new card layout looks very nice. I'm a sucker for full arts.
- The concept for Rush Duels seems both very meta and very fun. Excited to see where this goes.
- Also surprised about Gallop not being the studio to make it but if they're burnt out on YGO, that's understandable.

And I'll probably sound harsh but if you expected anything edgy or dark, you were setting yourself up for disappointment from the beginning. It was always going to be kid-friendly after what we got with VRAINS and ARC-V.

I want an entertaining and fun show. I think we're going to get that with SEVENS. Also, finally, FINALLY the show talks about a "King of Games" again.

(12-21-2019, 03:32 PM)Hanayo Asa Wrote: Going to be the unpopular opinion here:

- I'm glad we're getting a more lighthearted series after 6 years of darker series (one could argue ZEXAL II actually started the darker turn).
- Surprised about the two formats thing, but very interested nonetheless. The new card layout looks very nice. I'm a sucker for full arts.
- The concept for Rush Duels seems both very meta and very fun. Exited to see where this goes.
- Also surprised about Gallop not being the studio to make it but if they're burnt out on YGO, that's understandable.

And I'll probably sound harsh but if you expected anything edgy or dark, you were setting yourself up for disappointment from the beginning. It was always going to be kid-friendly after what we got with VRAINS and ARC-V.

I want an entertaining and fun show. I think we're going to get that with SEVENS. Also, finally, FINALLY the show talks about a "King of Games" again.

Finally, another positive opinion here.

A lot of people are also saying things like "It doesn't look like YGO!"

...It's probably not supposed to? They seem to be going for a different audience here than usual. You might not be a fan of that, but you probably aren't meant to be. You don't need to like it, because its target audience needs to.

You should also hope that this does well with its target audience because getting more people interested in the franchise is a good thing. I fucking hate Duel Links, but I'm glad it exists because it has managed to get more people interested in the franchise. You should also not hope that this fails, because aside from just being a kinda shitty thing to do with something as inoffensive as this, that would cause the franchise to get hurt and suffer losses and you shouldn't want that to happen to a franchise you care about just because they are putting out something that you don't like when many others might love it.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - LHCarmine - 12-21-2019

think the dub will ruin this?

Some would argue that a franchise dying would be a much better fate than shambling along as a franchise zombie until it is so unrecognizable from what it originally was.
Not saying I necessarily subscribe to this thought process, but I will say just continuing on isn't always the best outcome.

I will say though, something to think about is, is continued existence the end goal regardless of potential quality or lack of what someone should have? Because that's not my outlook. I want to support something because I like and enjoy it.  If I no longer enjoyed it, why would I want to?

RE: Preliminary Discussion - Hanayo Asa - 12-21-2019

(12-21-2019, 05:57 PM)NMBRHNTR64 Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 03:32 PM)Hanayo Asa Wrote: Going to be the unpopular opinion here:

- The concept for Rush Duels seems both very meta and very fun. Exited to see where this goes.

Finally, another positive opinion here.

A lot of people are also saying things like "It doesn't look like YGO!"

...It's probably not supposed to? They seem to be going for a different audience here than usual. You might not be a fan of that, but you probably aren't meant to be. You don't need to like it, because its target audience needs to.

You should also hope that this does well with its target audience because getting more people interested in the franchise is a good thing. I fucking hate Duel Links, but I'm glad it exists because it has managed to get more people interested in the franchise. You should also not hope that this fails, because aside from just being a kinda shitty thing to do with something as inoffensive as this, that would cause the franchise to get hurt and suffer losses and you shouldn't want that to happen to a franchise you care about just because they are putting out something that you don't like when many others might love it.

To add to this, it doesn't look like YGO in aesthetics definitely but at its core, it's one of the most YGO-ish YGO in a while. Hell, the motif of "king" is all over this, between the "King of Games" and the "Oudo" (which has the kanji for "king") family name for Yuga.

Also, yes, people shouldn't want this to fail. Because we've had a YGO that failed. It was called ARC-V and look how much it fucked the franchise royally, anime-wise. You don't want that to happen ever again.

Honestly, despite their first impressions (can those be even called "impressions" when it's only a trailer without much?), people should try to watch it without making any assumptions.

And who knows? Maybe they'll enjoy it.

If they do not, it's fine. At least they'll have tried it.

Honestly, what really turns me off from this the most is Rush Dueling. Forget the Infinity normal summons and draw phase rules, but the very lore behind them is horrible.

Why should I like a protagonist for the anime who doesn't even actually like the game? Since, in the very description, he finds the game too "rigid and unfun" that he has to create his own special house rules to force people to play instead.

(12-21-2019, 09:28 PM)BahamutX978 Wrote: Honestly, what really turns me off from this the most is Rush Dueling. Forget the Infinity normal summons and draw phase rules, but the very lore behind them is horrible.

Why should I like a protagonist for the anime who doesn't even actually like the game? Since, in the very description, he finds the game too "rigid and unfun" that he has to create his own special house rules to force people to play instead.

He probably likes the game but he finds that Dueling has probably become that way due to the corporation that controls literally everything in the city. He likely created Rush Dueling as a way to bring new life into it.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - BahamutX978 - 12-22-2019

(12-21-2019, 11:51 PM)NMBRHNTR64 Wrote: He probably likes the game but he finds that Dueling has probably become that way due to the corporation that controls literally everything in the city. He likely created Rush Dueling as a way to bring new life into it.

We have no reason to assume that the rules are any different from the normal rules. And I don't know about you, but I would describe things I like as "rigid and unfun".

RE: Preliminary Discussion - J_BYYX - 12-22-2019

(12-22-2019, 03:43 AM)BahamutX978 Wrote: We have no reason to assume that the rules are any different from the normal rules. And I don't know about you, but I would describe things I like as "rigid and unfun".

But are you a 9 year old trying to get into the game?

Why Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS is a thing.

The issues:

Playerbase is getting too old (18+)

Game is too complex for kids to easily get into.

Animation industry is a mess (studios are overbooked, wages are low etc). Gallop is probably burned out after working on ygo for 20 years straight
The fix:

Make a show appealing to kids with a simpler art style, also reducing the amount of work needed for the animators. No need to stick to the old art style allows switching studios and giving Gallop a break.
No really good way to simplify the main game without making old players mad. 
Thus making entirely new game format that is easy and fast - Rush Duel.
This should bring new players to the game that can eventually move to the main game or Duel Links as they grow up.

Duel Links instead of taking away from the main game actually boosted it. So now we have people who play one or the other or both.
So introducing another way to play is a good idea.
You bring in new people and another way to play for existing playerbase.
The only issue I see is that some insecure fans won't have something to talk with others online for at least next 3 years (if they keep the pattern).

But hey, they should have at least one other show they enjoyed over these past 20 years and that is not gone.

RE: Preliminary Discussion - lilim - 12-22-2019

(12-22-2019, 03:43 AM)BahamutX978 Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 11:51 PM)NMBRHNTR64 Wrote: He probably likes the game but he finds that Dueling has probably become that way due to the corporation that controls literally everything in the city. He likely created Rush Dueling as a way to bring new life into it.

We have no reason to assume that the rules are any different from the normal rules. And I don't know about you, but I would describe things I like as "rigid and unfun".

I dont think rush dueling really makes it fun again.