Implementation of Registration Rules - Opinions needed
Hey guys!

This is not specifically about the Download Forum rules, but an issue that has been around for a while now, and we'd like to know how you guys feel about this.

As you may know, your registrations need to be verified by an Admin first. We're not doing this to keep people out, but to prevent persistent trolls from polluting the forums, although its original purpose was to prevent spambots from flooding the forum until we implemented better anti-spambot measures. It allows us to review every account to make sure if the user in question is legit, or if it's a troll we are aware of, or a ban evader, and so on. However, I must stress that we do not collect data about anyone or use the information in any manner, apart from deleting the account if we deem it suspicious. We're doing it merely for security measures.

Furthermore, we'd also like to reject any registration that is made from a proxy server, to prevent trolls and ban evaders from getting through our radar. We do have our ways to look this up, but again, we do not exploit this information in any manner.

I'd like to know how the members feel about these measures before officially implementing them. We have sort of unofficially shot down accounts via proxy IPs before, but the sad fact is that we may not know if it was a legit user or not. Therefore, I'd like to make sure if you guys are okay with these practices.
If you need to get in touch with me, please seek me out in the NAC Discord.

Messages In This Thread
Implementation of Registration Rules - Opinions needed - by Arynis - 02-25-2012, 10:13 AM