Implementation of Registration Rules - Opinions needed
Hey guys!

This is not specifically about the Download Forum rules, but an issue that has been around for a while now, and we'd like to know how you guys feel about this.

As you may know, your registrations need to be verified by an Admin first. We're not doing this to keep people out, but to prevent persistent trolls from polluting the forums, although its original purpose was to prevent spambots from flooding the forum until we implemented better anti-spambot measures. It allows us to review every account to make sure if the user in question is legit, or if it's a troll we are aware of, or a ban evader, and so on. However, I must stress that we do not collect data about anyone or use the information in any manner, apart from deleting the account if we deem it suspicious. We're doing it merely for security measures.

Furthermore, we'd also like to reject any registration that is made from a proxy server, to prevent trolls and ban evaders from getting through our radar. We do have our ways to look this up, but again, we do not exploit this information in any manner.

I'd like to know how the members feel about these measures before officially implementing them. We have sort of unofficially shot down accounts via proxy IPs before, but the sad fact is that we may not know if it was a legit user or not. Therefore, I'd like to make sure if you guys are okay with these practices.
If you need to get in touch with me, please seek me out in the NAC Discord.

The first part seems good, provided admins are absolutely sure they're trolls.

As for proxies... I'm a bit iffy on that one. I know people who use proxies (claiming to avoid detection, ISP blocks etc) who would be screwed over hard by disabling proxy registrations. How bad is the current condition on trolls anyway?

EDIT: If there are so many regular trolls, I'd ban registrations from proxies too.
[Image: Sm34fcZ.jpg]
Alper comes in every two weeks or so, I think. So...yeah. We have the biggest retard in the YGO community and at least 2~3 assholes knocking at our door on a regular basis. Bad is an understatement.
HybriDefiance Wrote:The first part seems good, provided admins are absolutely sure they're trolls.

As for proxies... I'm a bit iffy on that one. I know people who use proxies (claiming to avoid detection, ISP blocks etc) who would be screwed over hard by disabling proxy registrations. How bad is the current condition on trolls anyway?
The thing to remember about this though, is we're not stopping people viewing us via proxy. You just can't go through the process of creating your account via proxy. General proxy use is fine, we'd just prefer our members to not use a proxy for the registration process.
[Image: od86UXp.png]

MakoVERZ789 Wrote:I'd LOVE to become a hooker for a card game!!!
To be fair, I was fine with the 100post-rule, but if enabling this feature means a dead end for spammers, go for it. To verify all new accounts will take your time, have that in your mind. When YGO fans notice the restrictions here are gone and they can download away as much as they want, more and more people will keep coming in. Good news cause the community will continue growing, but bad news at the same time with people stealing things from here.

The point here is to keep spammers and copyright radars as far away as possible.

If I were you guys, I'd ban all accounts coming from proxies.
The main reason we have been banning proxies in the first place is because of Alper. He's a troll/hacker that pretty much has harassed multiple members of our membership, ranging from Admins here to general members like Wslasher. @_@
Ark Links To Stuff
Duel Academy R:2, a Yu-Gi-Oh! RPG || Arkadia Works || The Organization || Lapse (A Webcomic)

If you didn't have such strong ideas about where the story should go, you wouldn't end up so disappointed when the writers have other ideas.

[Image: JsoS3.gif]
Right, so what is our final stance on this? I am sticking to "Delete every account that comes from a proxy IP". But if there's enough opposition, we don't have to implement this rule, but in that case we'll just have to be more alert for Alper and ban evaders. I just want to know what you guys want so we can go for the best solution for everyone.

Also, about Admin verification. Keep or remove? As that one was primarily implemented to avoid spambot flood.

Again, we aren't out to get anyone or anything, I just want to keep the community safe and undisturbed from that annoying twat.
If you need to get in touch with me, please seek me out in the NAC Discord.

... I am not an admin, so I dont have a possible flood of registrations to verify ^^ - That aside, I do have a feeling, that the current course with
a) no registration from proxies and
b) registration has to be admin-verified
is a well thought about and sensible plan to keep sniffer-bots and certain trolls out.
From my point of view it is perfectly OK, if you stick to that.
I am looking for help making a multi-language global release of Pikaia: Visit this thread
[Image: bade-astral-spezial.png]
I had to hide my blog - Ich musste mein Blog verstecken - The gate is here:   Gate to my Blog